6.03.2009

Sam Stang Glass Patterns

(2003)


Back in '02 or '03,
when I would sometimes volunteer down at the Mad Art Gallery,
there was this show that would come through once or twice a year,
which was the big Sam Stang Glass Sale.

I don't know,
I don't think I ever met Sam himself,
but what I know is he's this guy who's got this groovy glass studio in one of the towns near St. Louis,
and he and his people just crank out all this really beautiful stuff:
plates and bowls and jars and vases and goblets and what-have-you...
in all these really crazy colors and patterns
and he'd show up with hundreds of these things to places like Mad Art
and people would come from miles around to get their mitts on them.
For real: lined up around the block at 8:30 am to spend hundreds on this glass.
Such is the allure of shiny things, I guess.

So business for Sam was, for sure, brisk but I was fortunate enough to get a few shots of the stripes and swirls before the glass consumers of St. Louis took 'em all home.














































































No comments: