4.07.2012

The Happy Ending (tiny excerpt)

2012

Did I ever tell you about the time I met Jean Simmons? It was at The Vagabond Theater that used to be on Wilshire Blvd. near Carondolet in L.A. (of course.) Occasionally they'd have tribute nights there at the poor, fading moviehouse and so I went one night by myself to see a double of Guys and Dolls and Elmer Gantry, I think it was. Little did I realize she was right there on hand doing a little Q&A and then autographs afterwards. Now I was 18 at the time, a krazy art student and very into my punk rock thing so when I approached the concessions counter for my autograph (which, yes, I still have) it was on her face that she was pretty uncomfortable with me. She was very polite, however, and signed quickly. I, for my part, feel certain I expanded her demographic that night and have been a loyal adulant since.

In more recent news, Ms, Simmons finally succumbed to lung cancer on January 22nd, 2010, nine days before her 81st birthday.
So, here she is in a tiny bit of The Happy Ending, saying goodnight and rushing off into the dark.
Bye, Jean. Miss you!


No comments: