11.18.2012

Thanks from Lillian

November 22, 1921

Dear Mert,

Thank you for staying the night with me. It was so nice to have you there with me. I thank you for understanding my plight and wanting to help. Luckily, everything turned out alright (you know what I’m talking about, right? What I told you about?) I thank you also for taking me to the clinic, to see if I was alright with my ‘cold’. It was so kind of you to take me! Mert, you have been so kind to me and I don’t think I have had a good friend like you, other than my good friend Nell. I told you all about Nell and I’m so sorry if I bored you to death about her. But, I wanted to extend my thanks to you for being so generous in your generous offer, but luckily, I am going to be just fine. I haven’t told Dorothy yet about what went on, while I visited you, ohh, mother would just have a fit! You must be happy to know that your mother is not living in the States. Mother would have a fit about anything. She would definitely have a fit, if she knew that you and I were in the same room together ( I can’t say more, for I know she’ll ask me “Lillian Diana Gish, who are you writing to?”) . But, you know what I’m talking about. You seem very brilliant and I know that you are, so you can ‘figure it out’. I am to write you another letter, soon, but in this for this letter, I have included a lovely picture of me. I knew you would like that. Your letter that you sent me, was just overwhelming with kindness and gratitude. It almost got me in tears, but since Dorothy is around or I’m usually on rehearsing a scene, I kept it to myself. I loved every word, I hung on every word! I’m sorry this letter is brief, but I hope to hear from you soon! Also, I want to know more about your family. ‘Mertzal’, I want to know where your family would come up with a name like that? It’s so unusual , but if fits a lovely man, such as yourself!

Sincerely Yours, Lillian Gish

No comments: