1.08.2009

Column (photojoiner)

(2008)

I've made a few recent stabs at completing some photojoiners and I'm beginning to think that maybe I wasn't born with this particular skill. Anyone with a camera's tried this at least once, usually in an effort to capture a panoramic view the grandeur of which, presumably, couldn't be expressed in a single frame. Some noted artists then took the process to another level. 

I'm thinking, firstly, of the Starn Twins, who made a big splash in the eighties with their appropriated images, large transparencies and lots of scotch tape. I love their stuff, it's really neat. Then there's famous painter David Hockney, who made an even bigger splash of his own, also in the eighties. His, if you ask me, weren't all that exciting or innovative, but he really did bring to the gallery what everyone was doing and, I'm pretty sure, coined the term 'joiner'.

So I'm trying my hand at these and, I don't know, I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Here's one of a support column I found in the basement of the building where I live. Obviously, I stand in one spot and shoot my way up from the bottom, hence the center bulge. The numbers written there make it, for me at least, interesting subject matter, but I'm just not sold on the technique. It's not making me smile and it should.

Oh, well. 
I've got some more in the hopper. I'll keep at it and we'll see if I have better luck.



No comments: