11.18.2008

Budapest Spray Cards

(1989)

In 1989, after some long, difficult months in Budapest fraught with dislocation anxiety, sadness and self-medication, my best shot at pulling myself together, I felt, was to get busy making things. Anything. But in Hungary, at that time, there wasn't much to work with. This was near the end of that year and, as you'll remember, Soviet Communism. Everyone was overjoyed to see the Russian military filing out of the city, but it would be a while before any consequential economic changes would occur, so anything to do with shopping was always hit-or-miss. There was an art supply in the city center, but their stock was unreliable. One day they'd have what you needed and then it'd be gone for the rest of the year. But one item they did have in abundance was spray paint. And they had some very cool spray paint, too, the likes of which I'd never seen before nor since. They had this beautifully saturated flat red, a very cool gunmetal thing and stuff with really chunky glitter in it... So I got a bunch of that and a few hand fulls of these randomly cut bits of chipboard, or thin, brown cardboard, that they had for free in a basket by the door, and I went apeshit. I turned most of them into postcards and mailed them off, but I found a few in a box the other day - leftovers or rejects, I suppose.







No comments: