11.03.2008

Some Sort of Alert

It's 12 o'clock high on Monday and air raid klaxons have just gone off in my neighborhood. Seriously, just like you hear in old WWII movies or like in George Pal's version of H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine". Really loud and with some sort of garbled message in between blasts, reporting off the surrounding buildings in indistinct echoes. I have to say it's cool. I like it, but what the fuck? And I mention it now 'cause I've heard it a few times before, being here in St. Louis, but in no other city I've lived.

Can anyone tell me what this is? Should I be training a pair of binoculars toward the East and searching for a fleet of enemy bombers or something? Someone reading this has got to know.

Help me out with this if you do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It means the Anheuser-Busch brewery is going to blow, spewing beer across the entire city. Run for your lives! Or grab a stein. Up to you.

Anonymous said...

Once a month there's a tornado warning test that's emitted throughout the area. Sounds pretty terrifying the first few times you hear it, right?