11.20.2008

A Sort of Language, Perhaps

(1990)

I vaguely remember making these little things like, oh, 16 years or so ago. They're just design marker on little 2-inch-square bits of paper. I remember wanting to make the greatest variety of the simplest original forms possible. I also remember thinking I had not at all succeeded and looking at these now, I get my disappointment. Trying to create an original alphabet is a tough row to hoe. You want something that writes quickly, reads quickly and corresponds to both a sound and a meaning... and it has to be symbols that have never been used before. I don't know, maybe I gave up too quickly, but tell me that's not a difficult proposition. (of course, that's pretty much the fundamentals of logo design, isn't it?)

On the upside, I had the good sense to make them all pretty colors and so they all look very nice laid out like this. But it should be understood, then, that this is just decorative art, despite any lofty intentions.





And it seems I found some more...
(1/30/09)

No comments: