11.23.2008

Kitsch Noir

(2008)

Not only do these two Square Compositions distinguish themselves as being so dark you almost can't even tell what they are, but they also both fall into the category I just made up called kitsch noir. Yes, kitsch noir. Say it three times fast. Oh, wait... that's not really all that hard to do. Whatever. I just think it's great to live in a country where I can put a German word next to a French word and call it an English phrase. God bless America! Kitsch noir forever!


Anyway, you get what it is, right? It's that sort of imagery that kinda goes hand in hand with pulp novels and detective magazines and all that stuff... you know: second-rate-Raymond-Chandler-Dashiel-Hammett-James-Cain-knock-off-low-brow-trash-culture and all that crap that Betty-Page-retro-hot-chicks and swing-music-revivalists insist is cool. I'm not, I'll confess, completely sold on their whole way of thinking but I'm also not too proud to fuck with their aesthetic either. That's just me. I have no respect for other people's beliefs unless they are giving me free money or food or drugs or booze or entertaining me in some way that I'm not already bored with (and even then I'm not reliable).

No comments: