11.08.2008

Previous Post: "Neato Graffito"

(1996/2004/2007)

"Hey.

I just thought of something.

Okay.

A little while ago I was walking around this area of St. Louis called Soulard. Maybe last month or something. Anyway, I came across this graffito.

I really like it and I should 'cause I did it.

I stenciled it, like, must've been two or three years ago and I completely forgot about it. I did a bunch of these around the area, but I have no idea where the other ones are. This one is right in front of a schoolyard. I'm not really sure if that's good or bad. Probably bad.

There were some other phrases I did. What were they...

"People are true believers in artifice." was one. This showed up prominently in this one "propaganda piece" I did in Los Angeles. I'll talk about that later.

Another was, "Your crime is you believe you are innocent." I remember spraying that on the parking lot wall of the Smile Lofts. Then a guy came out the next day and removed it right away. So I sprayed it on again in exactly the same place. Then he came and erased it again. Then I just gave up.

There's one more. What was it? These are all taken from this little book I made back in, oh, 1996 called, "The Revised Conventional Wisdom No.1" so if I want to, I can just go look it up... but I don't want to. I'm that lazy.

Well, hell, I'll go look.

Anyway, you might like to read them all, so I'll go find the link while I'm at it.

http://studiogustave.com/wisdom.html

And the other stencil was, "You wouldn't stand a chance if you didn't sell out." I also put this at the top of my music page a little while ago and then Josie Cotton, who sang that great song, "Johnny Are You Queer?" wrote in reply, "But if you sell out and don't make it, then you got nothin', my friend!" I was so overjoyed to receive that comment 'cause I think she's just the bee's knees.

My music page, by the way, is www.myspace.com/exquisitetenderness

The typeface on the stencils was an adaptation of Futura Bold or Futura Black, which I was really into at the time I cut them with my friend Dan in San Francisco. Then I got into a big Times New Roman phase. Then it was nothing but News Gothic. Then a breif flirtation with various seraphy fonts. Now I don't know. I'm sort of back to News Gothic, which is the font you see on all the panels on my page right now, but I don't know. I'm not really in a committed relationship with any one font right now. That's okay, though. The right one will come along.

Yeah, so trippy coming across that after so long. It's held up better than I would have expected.

Do I have more to say about it?

No. That's it.

Oh. Wait. 'Graffito' is the singular form of 'Graffiti'.
Did you know that?
I just now figured that out."

No comments: