11.02.2008

Musetta Vander Reduction

(2008)




Pretty actor Musetta Vander is probably best known as the principle siren from "O Brother, Where Art Thou?". Reducing her features to their most fundamental forms produces an almost alien appearance, which I think is interesting. I'm wondering lately if the more successful designs from the series are the sans-text portraits. For myself, I have always responded really strongly to seeing written language in the fine art context (I'm thinking of anything from Kurt Schwitters to Ed Ruscha, Richard Prince, Barbara Kruger and Jenny Holzer) so I love the pictures with that element. But I was showing some of these to my friend and fellow picture-maker, Mikey Paradise, whose opinion I respect, and he preferred the ones without. Freaky how influential a few words like that can be but I guess that is the nature and value of critique.

No comments: